Engines make a sound, when they are about to cause any problem. There are a lot of people who check into online sites and with repair people to know why their engine is making a specific kind of noise. Why is this interpretation important? Some problems can be fixed with a small part that you can buy from reputed online sites like carpartkings.com and some need a total engine replacement. You can once again you can choose carpartking.
Sounds and their meaning
Below is the list of common engine sounds and what they infer.
- Whirring – this means that there is a problem with the water pump, alternator, power steering pump or the steering fluid is low
- Knocking – this means that there is a problem with the timing chain, spark plug or the distributor cap.
- Pinging – this means that there is a problem with the transmission mount, crankshaft or the timing gears
- Hissing – when your engine hisses, it means that there is something wrong with the cooling system, vacuum line, catalytic converter or the exhaust.
- Popping – the popping sound indicates that there is a problem in the air filter, ignition wire, engine compression, ignition module or distributor cap
- Grinding or screeching noise – when the sound is heard when you turn the ignition, the problem is with the starter. If you hear the sound when the brakes are hit, then the issue is with the rotor or the brake pads
Why should I know this?
You may have been curious about the engine sound and would have asked a mechanic to look for problems. If he is a trustworthy one, then it is not of a concern. If the mechanic plans on cheating you with a long list of replacements or wants you to change the engine, this list can be helpful.
What to do when your engine makes the sound?
Just turn your back to the sound and pray for it, to go off magically. This would lead to bigger problems and you would be back on some online site to buy a new engine. Instead, you can check why the engine is making a particular sound and get the repair done or buy any replacement parts.
In case of buying parts, it is better to choose high quality parts which suit your car make, model and the year. It is not easy to find such a right fix parts. Instead, you can log into carpartkings.com and let the site do all the work for you.